SQL Server Error 15105 – User Failed to Retrieve Text for This Error
Getting an SQL error 15105 is obviously a head-scratching moment for SQL users. However, wise users always know how can they tackle failed to retrieve text for this error. reason: 15105 safely. This article is about solving this problem for SQL users & understand what we need to do to get the best results.
Therefore, the article is going to include a lot. For example, the causes of this error, a manual solution with shortcomings, the advanced method as well as most asked questions.
Now, the error can be the same with different messages. The intent of the error is to justify that the backup file (.bak) with the shared network hard drive can’t support the file’s data. So let’s have a look at them:
SQL Error Reason 15105 – Know All the Critical Causes
Now, there are N number of causes that we can state here for this error of attaching databases. However, some reasons are most common & only these are the ones that we’re going to state here.
- Storage Space: Low storage space at the location where the database file is planned to be generated and stored.
- Permissions: No permission to access the SQL Server account assigned backup file location is also a critical problem.
- File Issues: MDF or master database file detached without the proper manner is what creates the problem.
- Security: Some security reasons block the SQL backup file, resulting in error 15105.
- Corruption: Corruption in MDF files or Windows OS is also problematic. Also, Virus & Malware attacks are like adding fuel to the fire. This generates the need for top 5 SQL recovery tools also.
- Software: Issues in the installation of the software also cause Microsoft SQL Server error 15105. We must say that interrupted or incomplete installation is one of the key factors.
- Other Issues:
- Limitless issues with the startup entries & registries.
- The folder specifying the location is not present under the same instance.
- The backup file is not from the destination system. Instead, it is from another computer.
Now, we have gone through the causes, it’s time to move fast towards the solution without any hassles at all.
Manual Solution to Fix SQL Error 15105 Attach Database
As we know we have two solutions available that are manual & automated. Although the advanced automated solution is much better, users should be aware of all methods.
This method involves the backup file to get rid of this error in a smart way. Therefore, users need to prepare for two stages. The first is the preps before the backup & the second is the preps for the backup. Let’s start with stage one to fix failed to retrieve text for this error. reason 15105 followed by stage two:
Also Read: Migrate SQL Server Database to Lower Versions without Hassles
Stage:1 Preparations Before Backup
Here, the task is not that complex & users only need to execute two things mentioned below:
- Make space to accommodate & upload the backup file from the drive.
- Defragmentation as well as space check is crucial. Should be 15% or higher.
Stage:2 Steps for the Backup
- Firstly, Go to the Location of the original folder on the shared network >> Right Click on the Folder here.
- Select the Sharing & Security option form here.
- Navigate to Permissions & Sharing tab.
- Now, give your target account Full Access & then assign Full Access to Everyone here. Make sure to limit the time period of this access. Also, make changes after restoration.
- Click Apply & then the Ok button after the assigning of permissions.
- Under the Security tab, Add the Account with Full Access. Assign appropriate privileges as well.
- Click on Apply & then on the Ok button.
After this, there is a chance that the database will be restored & error will be resolved. However, there is no surety of the results. Also, there can be inaccessibility issues with several other problems. Let’s discuss them as well.
Sharp Shortcomings of the Manual Solution
There are a few drawbacks in the manual method which makes it a bad choice for resolving the SQL error 15105 specifically. Let’s go through these shortcomings to understand all the sides of this solution in depth.
- Time-Taking Procedure: This method is very time-consuming as there are multiple steps involved in the process. This ultimately results in reduced efficiency.
- No Surety of Results: Even after putting in so much effort, there are no guaranteed results here. There are various faults & errors that can occur.
- Complex Procedure: The entire procedure is quite complex as it is manual & lacks advanced features here. Therefore, users must understand the technicalities first.
- Limited Scope: Also, the entire scope here is limited as this solution does not work if the .bak file is corrupted. So, users must make the decision wisely.
SQL Error 15105 Fixing with an Automated Solution
As we all understood the drawbacks of the manual solution, the question arises that which solution is the best. Therefore, as per expert MVPs, & trusted users, utilizing the SysTools SQL Backup Recovery Tool is the right choice.
Evidently, we can say that the manual solution is complex & full of drawbacks. So, let’s understand the features & benefits of automated solutions first. Then only we will move towards the step by steps solution to fix SQL error 15105 attach database issue.
- Enable users to recover as well as preview the tables, views, stored procedures, triggers, functions, etc data objects of SQL Server.
- The software not only recovers but also repairs the database backup files with corrupted elements in it.
- It can repair & recover both the MDF as well as the NDF files of the backup without any modifications in it.
- Advanced features like auto-detecting, multiple export options, etc to fix Microsoft SQL Server error 15105.
- The software provides support to recover the differential backup as well. This is even better than the manual solution.
- The tool supports the SQL Server 2022, 2019, 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 / 2008 R2, 2005 & 2000 versions.
Besides these features, there are plenty more that can help users in different ways. Let’s explore the steps to have a look at the working of the tool.
Fix Failed to Retrieve Text for This Error. Reason: 15105 Step by Step
The software does not involve any complex procedures. Therefore, the entire process can be done in just 5 steps. However, there are additional steps that users can follow in order to get customized results & fix SQL error 15105 attach database carefully.
Download the tool & then follow the below-mentioned steps carefully:
Step-1. Launch the Software after installation on the system.
Step-2. Click on the Open button to start adding database files.
Step-3. Add Database Files from the system & Click Add button.
Step-4. Preview the Files to cross-check all the Database Objects.
Step-5. Now, finally, Click on the Export button to export the data files.
After discussing all the aspects of this SQL error 15105 carefully, we came to the conclusion that both methods work well. However, there is a major difference between the results of these methods.
Now, this difference makes the automated tool a must-try for users. It not only provides the solution but improves the overall experience of users as well. Rest, users are free to choose any method they like & solve failed to retrieve text for this error. reason 15105 peacefully.
Q-1. What exactly does this error 15105 means?
Ans: SQL server error 15150 is triggered when a user attempts to change the login from DBO to another login because of false database ownership.
Q-2. Is this manual method trustable or not?
Ans: Well, this manual solution is not recommended to users in the first place but they can use it in the absence of manual solutions.
Q-3. Is this automated tool free or require a subscription?
Ans: No, it’s not free to use. However, it offers a free trial version for users to fix SQL error 15105 attach database & test the tool.
Q-4. What are the safety parameters of the automated tool?
Ans: The automated tool is quite safe & protects the integrity of the BAK database file.