Two Ways to Backup Gmail Emails Offline In No More Than 6 Steps!
Planning to backup Gmail emails Offline? Then, you must read this blog!
Gmail is one of the most demanding cloud-based email clients for several reasons – it’s free, fast, provides generous storage space. It’s a trustworthy email client that would never randomly delete its user emails or deactivate their account. However, it is still prone to hacker attacks that are constantly looking for Gmail account weaknesses. Or, there are chances of getting Gmail outage. In these cases, you will not be able to access your Gmail account. So, its better to backup Gmail emails today, than regretting in future.
In this blog, we will cover two quickest ways to backup your Gmail account emails for Offline reading using Google Takeout and automated tools (for better performance).
What are Possible Ways for Backup and What’s not?
There are many ways using which any Gmail user can easily backup its account data without any trouble. But, each method has its own limitation. It’s better to understand which one is best suited for you according to your requirement. Following are the way to backup of your Gmail emails for offline reading:
- View Gmail Emails Offline using Google Chrome: You can enable this feature in Gmail settings, it allows you to view your emails without an internet connection. However, this is only limit for a certain time period.
- Use Email Client for backup emails offline: You can take the help of Thunderbird / Outlook email clients for backup. This method is the only way for taking backup of emails from Gmail account, it doesn’t backup contacts, calendars, and documents. Not to mention the time taken by this method is longest among all other methods.
- Using Google Takeout for Backup: Google provides its own method for backup. This method backup complete Gmail account data for Offline access. It saves the emails in MBOX format that can be imported into other emails client for Offline reading. However, not being able to backup emails in any format other than MBOX makes is its only disadvantage. But still, it’s better than the other possible methods. This is why this method is one we pick for the top two.
- Taking the help of Automate tool for backup: When all the routes are blocked, the only savior is the automated tool. Yes, they cost you a bit for doing the job but they don’t impose any limitation other than that. They are the best way to backup Gmail emails Offline in multiple email formats. We will be covering the benefits of choosing this method below.
#1 Steps to Backup Gmail Emails Offline using Google Takeout
1. Login into your Gmail account here: www.takeout.google.com
2. First, deselect all the select options and then choose the required data such as Emails that you wish to backup.
3. To customize the backup, select the customize archive format:
- File type: .zip (recommended)
- Archive size: 2 GB
- Delivery Method: Send download link via emails
4. Click on Create Archive button to backup Gmail emails offline (MBOX format)
Caution: We recommend not to choose Archive storage location like Google Drive. As it will count against Google storage quota.
5. Once you get the download link, click on Manage archive and download the archive one by one.
Challenges While using Google Takeout
- Backup emails in MBOX format only
- Doesn’t provide selective folder filter
- No feature to skip taking backup of already downloaded files
- Weak Internet connection may lead to failure in downloading archives.
- Limited attempts to download an archive.
- Time taken for archive creation is too high.
#2 Steps to Backup Google Account Using Automate Tool
Alert: To save you from trouble in deciding which automated software to choose, we picked the one that we found best among other tools. You can take the help of SysTools Gmail Backup Software. It is a leading band and most reliable software to backup Gmail emails offline.
1. First, download the backup utility on Windows / Mac PC (software are available for both)
2. Launch the tool and login into it using your Gmail account Id and passwords.
Note: Don’t fear about the security of your account. The tool is fully trusted software that doesn’t save data in any of its databases.
3. The tool provides multiple Category options to backup data from, such as Email, Contacts, Calendars, and Documents.
4. Select the format to take backup of Gmail emails, choose from PST, EML, MSG, MBOX, and PDF.
Tips: Taking Gmail backup in PST, MBOX allows you to access emails in other email clients but not for offline reading. Whereas, you can choose PDF, EML, and MSG formats to backup emails for Offline reading.
5. Browse the location where you wish to save backed up emails and other data.
6. Choose the Advance Filter option to backup emails from the selective Gmail folder and then click on the Start button.
The tool will begin the backup process and it will notify you when done. The backup process is quite fast when using this tool.
Unique Features of Automated Tools During Backup
- Allows taking backup in multiple formats.
- Category, Folder, and Date filter for selective email backup.
- Backup multiple categories of data such as Emails, Contacts, calendar & documents
- Incremental backup to skip already backup data in the previous attempt
- Delete After Download option available to free up server space.
- Generates a complete report for the backup data for validation.
Important Note: Apart from the features provided by the tool, the main benefit of tool its availability for a life-time period. It means once purchased a license, one can take a backup of an email account multiple times in any format they like.
The above write-up is a complete guide for Gmail users to easily backup Gmail emails Offline. We have discussed the most traditional way of backup that is using Google takeout. Additionally, we have also discussed an automated tool that overcomes all the traditional methods. You can check the methods for yourself and choose the best one for the long run. For testing of tool try its free demo version that takes backup of first 100 emails and 25 other items.