How to Export Selected Emails from Gmail Account?
Why waste your time and storage space on downloading complete, when you can export selected emails from your Gmail account? Not all Gmail users are aware of the techniques to export only the required mailbox and save downloading time and local storage space.
Therefore, in this guide, you will understand the various requirements and techniques to export selected emails from a Gmail account. Read the blog carefully and execute the process using the list of steps.
Requirements to Export Selected Gmail Emails
There are some of the examples given below that would illustrate the need to export selected emails from Gmail:
An HR of a company needs to download the CVs on a regular basis. The emails are received in bulk such that they need to be segregated as per the role applied. Then they are required to be exported to the desktop for taking further course of action.
A number of bank statements are received in an email on request. Such that it covers most of the space. In such a case, it is required that the bank statements are selectively chosen and then stored separately.
These are some of the examples that show through a number of emails are received, but they need to be selected and segregated as per category wise. It is thus, better to export the selected emails to the desktop for convenience and future reference.
Technique 1: Best Way to Export Selected Email From Gmail
Gmail Email Backup Software is a useful automated solution that provides the customized filtering of data in Google accounts. You can use both date-range filters and folder filters to export selected emails from Gmail. Also, you can convert Gmail emails to PDF format.
Steps to export selected emails from Gmail are as follows:
1. Run the backup utility and Login via Gmail id and password.
2. Select the desired email-format and category as “Email”.
3. Browse the location to store the exported emails.
4. Use Apply Filter to set date-range and folder filter for selective export emails from Gmail.
5. Hit the Start button to begin the export process.
Some of the prominent features of the tool are as follows:
- Backup of Gmail emails in different file formats.
- Save Google Mail emails with attachments.
- Select Folders filter to provide selective extraction.
- Email filter using date range option.
- Maintains the folder hierarchy.
Technique 2: Search & Export Selected Email From Gmail
There are ways to sort emails by using search techniques.
Such as ‘has:attachment larger 10 MB’ would search all the email files that have an attachment larger than 10 MB.
‘after:2021/01/01’ would search all the mails after 1st January 2021.
‘older_than:1y’ would search all the emails which are older than one year.
However, you can view the emails using such search techniques but each of the selected emails would get downloaded individually by manual efforts.
In the case of ‘older_than:1y’, you can see all the emails as the desired results.
Click on the first mail, and go to the ‘More’ beside the ‘Reply’ button. You will get a drop-down list and then choose ‘Download message’.
This would save your mail in an ‘EML’ format. Saving each file is a tedious and time-taking activity.
Technique 3: Export Selected Folder Emails Using Google Takeout
Another method to export selected emails from your Gmail account is by using the labeling feature for taking required emails inside a folder and using Google Takeout for exporting them.
Note: Google Takeout method only helps in exporting particular folder emails. It cannot be used to export emails of a particular date range. For implementing the date range you need to use additional searching techniques while creating labels.
The following are the steps to export selected emails from Gmail using labeling and Google Takeout:
1. Login to the Gmail account using credentials
2. You can now see all your emails from your Gmail mailbox
3. Now filter the emails using a search technique or simply using keywords that can fetch the desired results
In the above Figure, the ‘after:2021/02/17’ search technique has been used as an example to filter the search. It has displayed the results for all emails after 17 February 2021.
4. Now select the emails and create a label to distinguish them from other emails
5. You can either choose the existing one or create a new label
6. On creating a new label, you need to give a name to it
7. You can now find the new label that has been created ‘Important emails’ under the label’s name
8. Go to the top right corner and click on ‘Manage your Google Account’
9. The page will be directed to the URL ‘myaccount.google.com’
10. Go to ‘Data & personalization’ and under ‘Download, delete, or make a plan for your data’ choose ‘Download your data‘
11. You will be directed to the ‘Google Takeout’ feature. Here, click on ‘Deselect all’ and then click on ‘Mail’
12. Click on the ‘All Mail data included’ option and unselect all the options. Then click on ‘Important emails’ and ‘OK’
13. Click on the ‘Next Step’
14. You need to choose the Delivery Method, Frequency, File Type, and Size. Then click on ‘Create export’
15. The export process would start. It may take several hours or days to complete the export depending on the amount of data
16. Once the export is completed, you would see the download
17. On clicking ‘Download’, the Gmail account would ask for your credentials to verify
18. A zip file of Google Takeout would get downloaded
19. You can extract the Google Takeout Folder to the desktop or desired location. Here, the folder has been extracted from the desktop
20. The extracted folder would have all the selected emails in MBOX format.
The MBOX file format can only be opened using the MBOX format supporting the application.
Limitations of Google Takeout using Labels function
1. The file format is downloaded in only one format which is MBOX.
2. The download of files may take time depending on the amount of data being exported.
3. It does not provide the estimated time period for exporting.
4. It does not provide a selection of emails by the date range filter.
5. It lengthy, tedious, and time-consuming method.
In the above blog, you have learned about the different ways to export selected emails from Gmail. The manual method is time-consuming and is suitable for the export of less mail. However, the best way is to use an expert solution to export the bulk of selected emails. This would ensure faster, more reliable, and cost-effective results.