How to Export Selected Emails From Gmail?
Why waste your time and storage space in downloading complete, when you can export selected emails from Gmail account. Not all Gmail users are aware of the techniques to export only the requirement mailbox and save downloading time and local storage space.
Therefore, in this guide, you will understand the various requirements and techniques to export selected emails from Gmail account. Read the blog carefully and execute the process using the list steps.
Requirements For Exporting Selected Emails From Gmail
There are some of the examples as given below that would illustrate the need to export selected emails from Gmail:
An HR of a company needs to download the CVs on a regular basis. The emails are received in bulk such that they need to be segregated as per the role applied for. Then they are required to be exported to the desktop for taking the further course of action.
A number of bank statements are received on an email on request. Such that it covers most of the space. In such a case, it is required that the bank statements are selectively chosen and then stored separately.
These are some of the examples that show through a number of emails are received but they need to be selected and segregated as per category wise. It is thus, better to export the selected emails to the desktop for convenience and future reference.
Technique 1: Export Selected Email From Gmail Via Date & Folder Filter
Gmail Backup is a useful automated tool that provides the customized filtering of data in Google account. You can use both date-range filters as well as folder filter to export selected emails from Gmail.
Steps to export selected emails from Gmail are as follows:
1. Run the backup utility and login via Gmail id and password.
2. Select the category as “Email” and choose desired email-format
3. Browse the location to store the exported emails.
4. Use Apply Filter to set date-range & folder filter for selective email export
5. Hit the Start button to begin the export process.
Some of the prominent features of Gmail Backup are as follows:
- Backup of emails in different file formats
- Backup of emails with an attachment
- Select Folders filter to provide selective extraction
- Email filter using date range option
- Maintains the folder hierarchy
Technique 2: Search & Export Select Email From Gmail
There are ways to sort the emails by using search techniques.
Such as ‘has:attachment larger 10 MB’ would search all the email files that have an attachment larger than 10 MB.
‘after:2021/01/01’ would search all the mails after 1st January 2021.
‘older_than:1y’ would the search all the emails which are older than 1year.
However, you can view the emails using such search techniques but each of the selected emails would get downloaded individually by manual efforts.
In case of ‘older_than:1y’, you can see all the emails as the desired results.
Click on the first mail, go to the ‘More’ besides ‘Reply’ button. You will get a drop down list and then choose ‘Download message’.
This would save your mail in an ‘EML’ format. Saving each file is a tedious and time-taking activity.
Technique 3: Export Selected Folder Emails Using Google Takeout
Another method to export selected emails from your Gmail account is by using the labeling feature for taking required emails inside a folder and using Google Takeout for exporting them.
Note: Google Takeout method only helps in exporting particular folder emails. It cannot be used to export emails of a particular date-range. For implementing date-range you need to use additional searching technique while creating lables
The following are the steps to export selected emails from Gmail using labeling and Google Takeout:
1. Login the Gmail account using credentials.
2. You can now see all your emails from your Gmail mailbox.
3. Now filter the mails using search technique or simply using keyword that can fetch the desired results.
In the above Figure, ‘after:2021/02/17’ search technique has been used as an example to filter search. It has displayed the results for all mails after 17 February 2021.
4. Now select the mails and create a label to distinguish it from other mails.
5. You can either choose the existing or create a new label.
6. On creating new label, you need to give a name to it.
7. You can now find the new label that has been created ‘Important mails’ under the labels name.
8. Go to the top right corner and click on ‘Manage your Google Account’.
9. The page will be directed to URL ‘myaccount.google.com’.
10. Go to ‘Data & personalization’ and under ‘Download, delete, or make a plan for your data’ choose ‘Download your data’.
11. You will be directed to ‘Google Takeout’ feature. Here, click on ‘Deselect all’ and then click on ‘Mail’.
12. Click on ‘All Mail data included’ option and unselect all the options. Then click on ‘Important mails’ and ‘OK’.
13. Click on the ‘Next step’.
14. You need to choose the delivery method, frequency, file type and size. Then click on ‘Create export’.
15. The export process would start. It may take several hours or days to complete the export depending upon the amount of data.
16. Once the export is completed, you would see the download.
17. On clicking ‘Download’, the Gmail account would ask for your credentials to verify.
18. A zip file of Takeout would get downloaded.
19. You can extract the Takeout Folder to the desktop or desired location. Here, the folder has been extracted in the desktop.
20. The extracted folder would have all the selected mails in MBOX format.
The MBOX file format can only be opened using MBOX format supporting the application.
Limitations of Google Takeout using Labels function:
1. The file format is downloaded in only one format that is MBOX.
2. The download of files may take time depending about the amount of data being exported.
3. It does not provide the estimated time period for exporting.
4. It does not provide selection of emails by date range filter.
5. It lengthy, tedious, and time-consuming method.
In the above blog, you have learned about the different ways to export selected emails from Gmail. The manual method is time-consuming and is suitable for the export of fewer mails. However, the best way is to use an expert solution to export the bulk of selected mails. This would ensure faster, reliable, and cost-effective results.